Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast files "recommended practices" draft RFC with IETF for DNS Redirection

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 06:44:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: July 9, 2009 10:08:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Comcast files "recommended practices" draft RFC with IETF for DNS Redirection

*From: *"David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com <mailto:dpreed () reed com>>
*Date: *July 9, 2009 5:06:02 PM EDT

*Subject: **Comcast files "recommended practices" draft RFC with IETF
for DNS Redirection*

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-livingood-dns-redirect-00

I note that this draft RFC proposes practices that routinely return
*valid* responses to erroneous DNS lookups, and encourage an opt-out
policy rather than an opt-in policy.

While I generally agree with your concern and alarm, I do think that this is a deeper issue than Verisign's "Sitefinder".

Let me begin that a lot of internet users are tired of garbage on the web and that their desire to prune theor perception of the internet landscape into one that pleases their senses and protects their families is a desire that is legitimate and deeply rooted. I can imagine that Comcast may find this service popular, particularly among more conservative or religious communities.

And it may well be that ICANN has no lever to tell Comcast to do otherwise. ICANN operates by a pyramid of contracts and when one is outside the contractual tent contractual limitations don't apply.

(By-the-way, in ICANN's various contracts with registries and registrars and others ICANN actively denies what are called "third party beneficiary" right to the public. This has the effect of eliminating the ability of a member of the public going to court and requiring that a registrar or registry, or even ICANN itself, live up to the terms of the contract. ICANN is established as a "public benefit" corporation and it receives a US tax exemption on the grounds that it serves the public, so it does seem odd, even wrong, for ICANN to block the public from enforcing those things that ICANN does not. Witness the disaster at Firefly when ICANN sat idly by twidding its thumbs while that registrar violated its ICANN registrar agreement.)

Nor is what Comcast is proposing unlawful.

But back to the thing at hand.

I very much agree that this thing that Comcast proposal would be an utter disaster, particularly in that it would affect protocols that are not supporting a human user typing into a web browser and reading the responses on the screen.

But then again, who has standing to complain in a meaningful way? Not ICANN. Not law enforcement. The FTC or the FCC? I doubt it.

Customers could walk away from Comcast and seek another provider, but that could mean abandoning pre-payed contracts and equipment. And besides if, as it may well prove, that this is a popular service, the other half of our national duopoly might pick it up as well.

But the point that I wanted to make is this:  You say "return
*valid* responses to erroneous DNS lookups". I dispute that, but only slightly.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with wildcarding in the abstract - wildcards *are* part of the DNS internet standard. What is wrong is that not only internet users, but also internet based software, might be surprised, confused, or misled.

So rather than denying wildcards in totality as ICANN has resolved to do (at least at the TLD layer) it would be more productive to try to comprehend those limited circumstances when wildcarding would be appropriate, useful, and not harmful.

Right now at this instant I'm having a hard time thinking up a situation in which those conditions might be met. But I don't want my lack of imagination to server as a barrier to those who are smarter and more inventive than I am - as long as they make their case why they are meeting those conditions.

There is a large, more encompassing issue which is this: The internet lacks an architectural layer in which the parties to a communication have means to identify one another and perform mutual authentication of those identities. People believe that HTTPS is "secure" but is really only one way and even when supported by code in a web browser that checks the validity of the other party's certificate that check is usually only that the other party has bought a certificate from a vendor who has paid an adequate monetary tithe to the browser vendor.)

DNS is really only a hinting system. The "word" authoritative in conjunction is mis-applied by people to mean that the result is authoritative as to identity when all it really means is that the DNS server that gave the answer is giving first-hand answers rather than reflecting DNS hearsay.)

DNS ought to lead us to a target, but whether it is the right target for what we are doing or not is a question that needs to be resolved by other means. But for us to connect to a target and presume that we are actually in contact with the desired party (and vice versa) is silly. That would be like pounding a phone number into a phone (a la Steven Colbert), waiting for an answer, and without any preamble launch into some horrific disclosure of our most private thoughts. At the human-to-human voice protocol level we usually engage in some preliminary identification - we recognize a voice or a tone or announce ourselves or something. On the internet we don't have a well established and consistent way to do that.

Yes we have SSH and SSL (one way) and IPSEC and PKI and all the rest of the bag of acronyms. But it is not yet a consistent deployed part of our infrastructure. And there are considerable privacy and civil liberties aspects (such as the need for a Big Brother master of identities) that we would need to face.

All of this is to say is that the Comcast thing is the tip of a very large problem.

                --karl--