Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: ATT suggests heavy data users overloading cell sites, must stop or pay?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:13:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

So,

Let me guess; no one has asked about the charges for busy signals, calls that don’t go through or dropped calls --- all
counted as minutes?  Or is it double-dipping in the counting of calls in general because the person called gets charged
as well as the person making the call?

Oh, and does this mean that if overall, customers only use 30% of their plan minutes (or less),  that they will now get
refunds for low usage?

In our last survey of San Diego California where we collected actual phone bills and put them into a database,
including usage and plans – While the companies complain about the harms of the ‘large users’, no one is talking about
the harms to the majority of users – those who have bought plans larger than they need because they are concerned with
going over their minutes and getting hit with onerous fees?

In previous surveys (and this one) we found roughly  low, medium and highvolume customers are about 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3
of the population and the bottom 15% and top 15% are usually highvolume customers, with extremely high volume to be
under 10% of the population.

Yes, the 80-20 rule kind of applies, 20% makes 80% of all calls, etc. but, at the end of the day – if you advertise an
all you can eat product, (*and you’re gouging the other 80% of customers) should we feel sorry for you if someons
actually uses what you advertised?

About the CA report http://www.newnetworks.com/ucanstudy.htm

and methodology http://www.newnetworks.com/Methodteletruthsurvey.htm

Finally, who’s kidding who/ If  AT&T gets away with this it won’t be making the heavier users pay more--- do we really
believe AT&T will set the bar just for ‘seriously heavy users’?

bruce kushnick