Interesting People mailing list archives

Apples and Oranges: worth reading AT&T and iPhone

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:23:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: December 13, 2009 2:41:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Apples and Oranges: [IP] worth reading AT&T and iPhone

Dave,

As far as I can tell from the article, the author concluded that AT&T has better performance in the major metro markets. That's interesting in its own right.

However, Verizon's 3G map comparison makes a claim about coverage, not performance in areas of coverage. The article alludes to Global Wireless people criss-crossing the country checking on service, but it isn't actually specific about comparing coverage rather than performance in areas of coverage.

Those of us who live outside the seven major metro areas ask first whether we can communicate, and only if we can communicate do we ask how fast.

Mary Shaw