Interesting People mailing list archives

Americans' medical files go digital, by way of Asia

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:23:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "lynn" <lynn () ecgincc com>
Date: April 19, 2009 4:11:07 PM EDT
To: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <suresh () hserus net>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Americans' medical files go digital, by way of Asia

this is really not a discussion about poverty. it is a discussion (the way
i began it) about law and the stimulus bill.

as to poverty, it exists i think in pretty much in most countries. it is
not up to the us to eliminate poverty in every country. we cannot even do
that here.

yes there is stupidity all over too.

it's nice to know there is security in at least some call centers in
india. that is apparently a problem in manilla.

as i said originally, if it is stimuls dollars, that is supposed to be
limited to spending in the us, not elsewhere. that is the law. if it is
non-stimulus money, then it is a business decision.

the article i quoted was apparently talking about stimulous money. that is
a legal issue not a business issue.

i get that. here, for some, it means more - a rise to possibly poverty
level.

Or is it possible you don't understand the extent of the crisis here?

You're telling me about poverty? I've yet to see anybody at all in the
USA live in a slum on the scale of Dharavi or Tondo.

Trailer parks or even inner city tenements would be luxury compared to
those.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/06/world_manila_slum_life/html/1.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/08/south_asia_life_in_dharavi/html/1.stm

No I don’t underestimate the crisis. But I don’t overestimate it
either is all I can say.  As for urban poverty among people who are
unemployed or forced into extremely low salaries that's not unknown right
here in India either.

from the article:
The Philippines hopes to reap big profits from his multibillion- dollar
push to computerize health records.

computerizing health records is a huge part of the stimulus bill.

It again depends on which healthcare provider is doing it - some have been
doing it for years now, since well before the stimulus bill.  Medical
transcription has been outsourced for a bit more than a decade .. it was
among the first things to get outsourced.

i remember reading on this list a couple of years ago or so of a person
in india (i believe - i may remember the country incorrectly) that
threatened to publish records online if she didn't get a raise.

.. and you don’t get idiots like that stateside? Perhaps india and the Philippines have a monopoly on employees who do stupid things because of
grievances at work?

The cases I do remember about call center fraud / theft - there have been substantial jail sentences awarded in each case. And cases where security
processes have been found to have holes in them have led to dramatic
tightening up .. security is paranoid or worse in most call centers
handling that kind of material, at least in India.

Just for example, you can't carry paper and pencils, USB devices,
cellphones / PDAs etc into the facility [and more to the point, the office
PCs have USB disabled], no external email or internet access either]

--srs