Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 1620 One of your readers...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:17:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky () attglobal net>
Date: September 3, 2008 1:31:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [IP] Re:    One of your readers...

Dave,

For IP, if you like.

The IBM 1620 was nicknamed the CADET = Can't Add, Doesn't Even Try.

As I recall, the add table was contained in locations (single digits) 100-199, so when the computer wanted to know what was the value of x +y, it simply looked in location 1xy. The add table could be reloaded by any user program, so that it was easy to do arithmetic calculations in number systems with any base less than 10 also. Student hackers at the time found a number of other interesting ways in which a manipulated add table could be used.

The 1620 was also the first machine on which one could do serious variable length arithmetic, since it had a maximum storage capacity of 60KB (The IBM 1401 at that time was limited to 16KB). Using (I believe) a Taylor's series approximation for the value of pi, one weekend at Yale we compute pi to almost 20,000 decimal places by writing a short program, defining three very large numeric field, and letting the computer run all weekend.

And it was _possible_ to let it run all weekend because there were no tubes an the transistors did not fail!

George Sadowsky