Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: One of your readers... -- re Art Samuels

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:17:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Herb Schorr" <schorr () isi edu>
Date: September 3, 2008 12:51:27 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    One of your readers...

An interesting sidelight. Art Samuels was hired by IBM from AT&T because he knew how to run a tube plant. IBM would then integrate backwards and make everything they needed to make computers. Art after looking at what was going on with transistors recommended that IBM not build such a plant and instead switch over to transistors and Art said his recommendation was followed by Watson. Since he knew nothing about manufacturing transistors, Art went to IBM Research and proceeded to develop a checker playing program which was one of the first AI achievments' I should add I didn't personally witness the events described above but was told this by Art.