Interesting People mailing list archives

Adam Savage talks about Mythbuster attempt at RFIDa bit more on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 05:26:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () well com>
Date: September 2, 2008 6:47:14 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ghicks () cadence com
Subject: Adam Savage talks about Mythbuster attempt at RFID

Dave:

For IP if you want...  From Cryptography...

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:23:49 -0400
From: "mheyman () gmail com" <mheyman () gmail com>
To: schneier () schneier com, Cryptography <cryptography () metzdowd com>

Apparently credit card institutions don't want Mythbusters near their
RFID technology.

Transcribed from <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-St_ltH90Oc>:

We're going to do RFID on several levels, you know how hackable, how
reliable, how trackable, etc. etc. And we... One of our researchers
called up Texas Instruments and they arranged a conference call between
I think Tory and the head producer for the other team, Linda Wolkovitch
and one of the technicians for Texas Instruments.

We were supposed to have a conference call to talk about the technology
on like Tuesday at 10am. On Tuesday at 10am, Linda and Tory get on the
phone and Texas Instruments comes on along with chief legal council for
American Express, Visa, Discover, and everybody else.

And I get chills just as I describe it.  They were way way outgunned.
And they absolutely made it really clear to Discovery that they were
not going to air this episode talking about how hackable this stuff
was.  And Discovery backed way down, being a large cooperation being
dependant on the revenue of the advertisers. And its on Discovery's
radar and they wont let us go near it.

So, I'm sorry its just one of those things but man that was..Tory still
gets a little white when he describes that phone conversation.

-Michael