Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: AT&T Monthly Bandwidth Caps Are Here

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:13:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Henrik B" <blondino () gmail com>
Date: November 4, 2008 5:27:49 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: brett () lariat net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: AT&T Monthly Bandwidth Caps Are Here

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

Begin forwarded message:
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: November 4, 2008 11:41:37 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] AT&T Monthly Bandwidth Caps Are Here

In my opinion, the term "sabotage" is unduly pejorative and inflammatory, as well as simply inaccurate. In all cases, the goal is simply to lower costs to consumers by preventing them from consuming more bandwidth than they pay for (and thus causing the provider to lose money). Absent such constraints, the price of broadband service would have to be increased substantially, especially as consumers begin to use more bandwidth-intensive services (such as streaming video). Or it would have to be metered by the bit, a strategy
which consumers have overwhelmingly rejected.

Dear Brett,

I know that as a broadband provider yourself you have a different
viewpoint than most of us who just consume it. But when I, as a
consumer, has been sold a connection with "up to 12 Mbit/s" and
"unlimited data" I don't want to get told that I have to limit my
consumption to protect the company that sold it to me. If they have
chosen a pricing model that doesn't cover their costs, then they have
been stupid and deserves to go out of business.

Regards,

Henrik Brameus

--
"If you're right 98% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?"
MSN: hbrameus () hotmail com