Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Larry Page wants "Wi-Fi on Steroids"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 10:36:25 -0700

From: ken [Ken () new-isp net]
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:07 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Larry Page wants "Wi-Fi on Steroids"

Dave,

As any HAM radio operator will confirm, when you use the lower end of
the RF spectrum, a phenomenon known as "ducting" or "skipping" occurs
when certain atmospheric conditions occur.
http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/On-RF/f-DL-signals.shtml

This is a phenomenon many of us older folks will recall from childhood,
back in the day when all television programming was delivered off-air
and television stations used to routinely shut down overnight.

Growing up in the Boston area our three television stations used to stop
broadcasting early in the evening on weekdays and once in a great while
I could enjoy Philadelphia programming, in perfect clarity, since they
broadcast later into the night.

The "White Space" band we are about to put into use for broadband is
exactly that same slice of spectrum and the same problem is going to
occasionally occur, one that will cause incredible difficulty if we
look at the potential for interference this will provide.

While I support any additional spectrum that might be added to the
available bands, this is not what I would consider to be an optimal
choice.

An alternative suggestion that I would prefer to see implemented, one
that the FCC has shown a willingness to allow, is the spectrum sharing
concept. This idea would mandate licensed bands accommodate a "low power
underlay" that would regulate output power equal to today's 2.4GHz WiFi
equipment. As you are probably aware, many of the licensed bands in the
US lay fallow in most, if not all, of this country and even in locations
where these bands are currently in use, they are granted a far greater
output power than these proposed devices. Naturally, this would make it
impossible for any low power device to cause interference with them.

Respectfully,

Ken DiPietro/CEO
NextGenCommunications
Home/Office (301)789-2968
www.NextGenCommunications.net
Communications without Concessions

PS - I would like to give credit to Dewayne Hendricks for pointing this
issue out to me. While I was previously aware of the ducting phenomenon
I had not thought about the possible issue as it applied to this use.