Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:05:46 -0700

From: Scott Moskowitz [scott () bluespike com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 1:07 PM
To: David Farber; Jim Griffin
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

Jim,

I have traveled this road for a long time and I agree with David.

I take exception with the assertion that there is any "threat" to our
culture or the fans. Musicians have decided to perform more and rely
less on compact disc sales -- they are not entitled to any licensing
scheme any more than any other performer -- magicians, comedians, et
al. The Police and Van Halen on Tour in 2008? Copyright protections
last well into the future and so musicians (or, actually the
publishers and copyright owners) are taken care well into that good
night. As for performance rights, you know those are not market
driven and were negotiated with the Department of Justice precisely
because of the threat that large publishers made to the very same
restaurants and stores that now pay a percentage of their revenues,
without any proper accounting for *all* of the folks impacted --- the
squeeky wheels get all of the oil -- mostly.

The issue I have, and we have personally discussed this, is the lack
of an appropriate accounting mechanism that is fair and transparent
to the artists and the consumer. Over 10 years on and the copyright
owners seem to have missed the success of the Arctic Monkeys and any
number of bands that have figured out ways to get people to pay -
fiund your audience. Mandate fair accounting and perhaps the interest
in such "taxes" -- you may call it what you wish -- can be offered
as, well, a subscription service? But, even that business model (ie,
subscription services & satellite radio) is proving more difficult
that you first suggested when we first discussed this very topic
(1999?).

You know I am a firm believer in the rights of artists and invented
digital watermarks out of my passion and experience in the music
business. I have been suspect of the digital rights management
schemes that have been tried over and over again ... And, the music
did not stop ...

Sincerely,
Scott Moskowitz
http://www.bluespike.com/

to even suggest that a solution from the publishing industry, under
Department of Justice consent decree, no less, is fair game.