Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Misplaced Hopes for Wireless Cities Fade as Internet Providers Pull Out

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:35:43 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:20 AM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Subject: RE: [IP] Misplaced Hopes for Wireless Cities Fade as Internet Providers Pull Out

I view this as good news since I argue (in http://www.frankston.com/?name=WiFiEdge) that what I'm now calling
muni-bells are the wrong model. They are simply scaled down versions of the same carrier model that requires we buy
services to pay for transport.

Who are the customers for these systems. If it's a digital divide problem then sharing access points is far more
economical and reliable. If it's for those who can afford an extra connection then they are likely to be able to afford
to cellular access (EVDO, HDSPA etc) and it makes more sense because then they can use a portable device to access the
Internet at an incremental cost on their cell phone. You’re more likely to want to use a portable device than open up
your laptop while talking down the street. And do you want to open up a browser to login to the muni-wireless when
using a device. I wonder how many of these systems are being used for mundane projects like reading parking meters or
monitoring traffic. If so then such applications might justify the infrastructure which can then be shared.

What these muni-bells don't give us is the ability to assume connectivity for something as simple as emergency
signaling. We also can't assume coverage because the muni-bell model, as with the carrier model, would not take
advantage of the all the existing access points.

The problem is that we try to extend a failed model – getting “free” transport if we buy enough services at a vastly
inflated price. It’s fortunate that these are failing early because we see many FTTH projects declared as successes
when they get funding and not when they really prove to be sustainable. Even when they are declared successes we don’t
see what we are not getting – basic infrastructure. Instead we have speed that gives us more YouTube but not coverage.

The tragedy is that we have nearly 100% urban coverage if only we didn’t have the service model which eschews help from
users.