Interesting People mailing list archives

whether prices are excessive. [with comment by editor]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 06:57:12 -0700

From: Harry Hochheiser [hshoch () gmail com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 9:55 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: whether prices are excessive. [with comment by editor]

Dave:

O'Reilly offers such a service - try safariu.com (Note - I have no
affiliation with O'Reilly, and I am not a safari u customer). When I
checked this out a year or two ago, it seemed like it had a lot of
potentially good, but back-catalog content. Not a bad way to squeeze a
few dollars out of books that probably wouldn't sell anymore.

Speaking as a CS prof. who is inundated with textbooks, I will say
that there are _lots_ of books that do get updated on an amazingly
frequent basis, but nobody forces faculty to update to the latest
edition just because it's there. Count me among those who say "use an
earlier edition if you'd like".

I a bit surprised that IP readers have not said too much about some of
the excellent sources of online texts out there. From excellent CS
books such as "How to Design Programs" or "How to Think like a
Computer Scientist" (Java/C++/Python versions), to wikibooks,
www.freetechbooks.com, www.techbooksforfree.com,
http://freecomputerbooks.com, there's a ton of stuff out there that
could be used relatively easily. Not just in computer science - the
National Library of Medicine, for example, has full text of several
classic biology texts.

-Harry