Interesting People mailing list archives

Why Helio Didn't Connect

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:33:57 -0700

From: Christian Huitema [huitema () windows microsoft com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 2:25 PM
To: David Farber; Jonathan P Gill
Subject: RE: Re:    Why Helio Didn't Connect

What could we do with
wireless communications if we embraced an Open Spectrum model
supported by software defined radios that leveraged receiver
developments, which I am assured, are now following Moore's Law?

We could certainly do a lot, and the progress of the 802.11 series with 802.11n attests that. However, there is a small
problem with the open mesh type of solutions. As the density of mesh nodes increases, the range of each radio has to
decrease. That works fine for short range applications currently served by Bluetooth and 802.11. But if your goal is to
build a new internet, you have a problem.

Connecting short range radios to build a long range network is a lot like driving long distances through surface
streets. It can be done, but it does not compete well with railroads, airplanes or freeways.

-- Christian Huitema