Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Why Helio Didn't Connect

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 06:07:36 -0700

From: William A. Frezza [waf () acm com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 8:54 AM
To: Bob Frankston; David Farber; ip
Cc: Robert J. Berger; bill () BILLMELTON com
Subject: RE: [IP] Why Helio Didn't Connect

Bob,

My reflex answer to these challenges is “let the market sort it out – keep the regulators out of it.” But of course,
you already knew that. ☺

Municipal Wi-Fi will NEVER work as an independent service because both operating costs and available bandwidth will
always be dominated by backhaul. THE TRAFFIC MODELS DO NOT COMPUTE! Same for Wi-Max. The larger the cell size, the more
users have to share the backhaul bandwidth, the fatter the backhaul pipe has to be, the more it will cost to lease from
the wireline incumbent. The smaller the cell size, the denser the backhaul web required, the more it will cost to lease
from the wireline incumbent. At the end of the day all profits, if there should be any, get sucked out by the wireline
incumbents. Use regulation to force the incumbent cable and telco operators to provide subsidized service and the
quality of this service will degrade to the point where it is not useable for any revenue producing applications. Use
wireless backhaul and you choke on your own traffic.

The only architecture I have ever seen that passes the traffic model test is the old Amperion architecture – Wi-Fi
access points hung on the intermediate voltage electric power distribution network, which is very dense and perfectly
deployed in any city worth serving. (Rural markets are uninteresting.) Pity that Amperion failed. The reason is that
the electric utilities are brain dead. Why are they brain dead? That’s what decades of regulation does to your brain.

On to other things. Wireless is done.

Best regards,

Bill
Bill Frezza, General Partner