Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 02:39:15 -0700

From: Dave Crocker [dhc2 () dcrocker net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:58 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

David Farber wrote:
Why oh why do I deal with these people. As soon as there is real
competition I don't intend to .

But Dave, Apple's model is to ensure the most complete lock-in they can
achieve.  This means that once you choose to go with their products, you
really have little -- and in the case of the iPhone, no -- choices.  In
other words, Dave, if you want competition, you have to leave the Apple
sphere.

This is, for me, the one compelling reason to stay with Windows for now,
and move to Linux whenever its set of applications get wide enough to
support serious desktop business use.  (No, it is not there yet.  For
example, I cannot do native synchronization with my PDA.)

And it is why I do not have a phone with hardware or service lock-in.

Lock-in encourages poor vendor service and customer service arrogance.

If you don't like it, then don't subordinate yourself to it.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking