Interesting People mailing list archives

a proposal --the idiots at comcast suddenly started

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:57:35 -0800

From: Ray Everett-Church [ray () everett org]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 6:15 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: RE: [IP] a proposal --the idiots at comcast suddenly started

   Eliminating HTML would eliminate active content (ActiveX, scripting),
misrepresented "phishing" links, and other ruses used to evade antispam
content filters.

It would also eliminate most email from AOL users and anybody who doesn't
change the default in Outlook, Outlook Express, or some webmail apps. Not
exactly a "low cost" solution.

FWIW, having been active in anti-spam circles for a long time I've just
assumed that every ISP has implemented port 25 blocking and so I've been
using port 587  -- especially on my home Comcast connection -- since circa
1999. But then again I've always used hosted servers and never tried to run
a server on my home connection, since my recollection is that doing so is a
violation of the usage agreement and even if you get it to work, it
shouldn't be considered reliable or stable. Some people choose to act
differently and their mileage may vary.

-Ray