Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A Clearer Picture on Voter ID - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:12:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Schmidt <schmidt () provider com>
Date: February 4, 2008 7:13:15 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   A Clearer Picture on Voter ID - New York Times

Hi Dave, for IP.

I, too, voted in Florida. I had a slightly different experience than Ken. Where I live, in Seminole County (famous in 2000 election for allegations of voting irregularities involving absentee ballots), the procedure differed somewhat from Ken Howard's Broward County experience, perhaps because the voting technology may have differed between the two counties.

Here are the Florida voting ID requirements and procedures for those who are interested.
http://election.dos.state.fl.us/online/faq.shtml#Voting

State law requires two forms of ID (signature and photo) but one ID card can suffice if it contains both and many forms of identification are acceptable. Voters without ID are supposed to be able to vote a provisional ballot. Florida passed a law in 2007 that eliminated employee id and buyer's clud id as acceptable forms of id. However, there is this notice on the state's web site: IMPORTANT NOTICE: On January 23, 2008, the U.S. Department of Justice precleared the remaining provisions except for one of chapter 2007-30, Laws of Florida. However, the Presidential Preference Primary Election (PPP) is now too close to implement two major changes. For purposes of the PPP, a voter may still bring in an employee's badge or identification or a buyer's card as acceptable forms of identification at the polls. Second, a provisional ballot voter has until 5 p.m. of the third day (in lieu of the second) day to bring in evidence of eligibility. A person who voted provisionally solely because he or she did not have identification at the polls need not bring further evidence of eligibility. If the provisional ballot voter was in the proper precinct and the signature on the ballot certificate matches the signature on the voter registration record, the provisional ballot will be counted.

A person who voted provisionally solely because he or she did not have identification at the polls need not bring further evidence of eligibility. If the provisional ballot voter was in the proper precinct and the signature on the ballot certificate matches the signature on the voter registration record, the provisional ballot will be counted.

Seminole County elections office video here (2 min.) give a good overview that matched my precinct.
http://www.semcoelections.org/en-us/how_do_i_vote/videos.php

When I voted, a kindly old fellow behind the table asked me my name and address, and I too offered my voter registration card (as I have done for decades). This time, he wasn't interested in that and I asked me instead for a driver's license or other photo id. (Unlike Ken, I didn't ask any questions.)

Upon presenting that, he looked it over, asked me if the address was still my current address, and handed it back. In past years, as far as I can recall, at this point in the process, I was simply asked to sign the roster and took my ballot.

This year he looked at the paper ballot which consisted of the printed ballot itself ("oversized" at about 11 x 17 heavy alum card stock or similar). A stack of these were mounted on a holder. When the ballot was removed, it was done by separating the ballot from a smaller piece (e.g. a tag) via a perforation. The tag then remained on the stack.

If I recall correctly, both the ballot and the tag contained a number. Perhaps it was only the tag. In any case, I do specifically recall noticing that the tag in fact did contain a number and that he then did write down that number on one side of my name on the voter roster and asked me to sign under my name, which I did. The signing was customary. I don't ever recall the numbers being written down, though who knows, perhaps they were. He then as usual, placed the ballot in a ballot holder - the same thing they've always used here as far as I can recall.

This was the extent of any ID checking in Seminole. After some advice about carefully marking the ballot with the pen, from here we simply walked over to the portable "booths", marked the ballot with a pen, and walked over to another fellow at the ballot box who did not ask to see any ID (though I should note, the entire process took place in a single open room large enough for voters and election personnel alike to view everyone present throughout the process in plain sight.

I then placed my ballot in the machine which grabbed it via an auto loader similar to a copy machine and that was that. (The video calls it an AccuVote optical scanning machine).

I still have some nagging doubts about the correlation of name and number and whatever conclusions various political operatives and campaign workers may be able to come to about the particular vote of a particular voter, and whether any "secrecy" has been sacrificed by the current process. On the other hand, I might well be inclined to trade some secrecy for a verifiable audit trail that allows accurate auditing of election results.

Bob Schmidt
schmidt () provider com