Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Does US Constitution SPECIFICALLY PROHBITS the passing of retroactive laws

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:10:55 -0800

From: Peter Swire [peter () peterswire net]
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:06 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: RE: Does US Constitution SPECIFICALLY PROHBITS the passing of retroactive laws

Dave:

Sorry to sound like a law professor, but this post was incorrect.  I think it is bad policy to have retroactive
immunity, but I haven't seen any plausible argument that such immunity is unconstitutional.

1.  The Constitution does prohibit ex post facto laws.  That means that Congress cannot make something *criminal* that
was not criminal at the time of the action.  So it would be unconstitutional if Congress now tried to make it a crime
for wiretaps that happened earlier.

2.  Another provision in the Constitution about retroactive laws is the Contracts Clause.  That prohibits states from
canceling contracts that they earlier entered into.  (The Supreme Court has held that the Due Process Clause similarly
prevent Congress from canceling statutes).  So it would be unconstitutional if a state or federal government previously
promised to pay the telcos, but now tried to pass a law that said the payment wasn't due.

3.  By contrast, Congress and the states have at various times changed the liability rules for cases that had not yet
gone to final judgment.  This has come up, for instance, in the various tort reform statutes.  The legislature gets to
state what the liability (or no liability) rule is, and can change that rule with respect to acts that have not been
adjudicated yet in the courts.

Peter

Prof. Peter P. Swire
C. William O'Neil Professor of Law
   Moritz College of Law
   The Ohio State University
Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
(240) 994-4142, www.peterswire.net