Interesting People mailing list archives

Looking under what rises to the top: personal information in online searches

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 05:16:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
Date: December 10, 2008 1:34:28 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Looking under what rises to the top: personal information in online searches

The search for self remains a powerful force, driving the flood of
social networks, microblogging, and the posting of photos and videos
to the Web.

The urge toward self-definition exerts itself also when we search for
information on other people--and that's where it becomes a problem.

A survey (http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/sextech/) whose results
were released today by the The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and
Unplanned Pregnancy shows that a large percentage of teens and young
adults create sexually suggestive photos and text messages--and send
them around to others rather promiscuously.

It is no longer an option to ignore the Internet. Therefore, we must
use the information with discernment. This mandates us to empathize
with the reasons people put information online, and then to adapt our
ways of viewing it:

 http://www.praxagora.com/andyo/article/search_discernment.html
Looking under what rises to the top: personal information in online searches

--
Andy Oram  O'Reilly Media                     email: andyo () oreilly com
Editor     10 Fawcett Street, Fourth Floor         voice: 617-499-7479