Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NYT article on the (ever-more-sophitsticated) bot wars

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 05:40:11 -0500

I concur with Spaf djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: December 9, 2008 12:26:14 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, thvv-post () multicians org
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: NYT article on the (ever-more-sophitsticated) bot wars

It's not surprising how those of us who have really been working in cybersec for more than a few years (and not working for one of the major vendors) all say the same thing -- you can't add on security after-the-fact. It is not possible to add anything to the existing infrastructure and really get good security.

It's unfortunate that (for "political" reasons) every report on the topic that bubbles up to high levels suggests that if only we coordinate enough and invest enough, we can patch the current steaming pile in some way.

No report points out that the people responsible have been told that this can't work but they continue with business as usual. No one reports that we continue to throw good money after bad by buying and deploying the same gunk that got us in this mess.

And if there is a high-level commission put together to examine the issue, the leadership is chosen from the leading vendors of the stuff that is broken, or who authorize(d) the purchase of that broken stuff.

Thus, it isn't surprising that those of us who work in cybersec and really know the details (and this excludes almost all "hackers") are also known as major cynics.