Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast 250GB Cap Goes Live October 1 - Updated: Comcast confirms our story... - dslreports.com

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:25:47 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: xkrebstarx [mailto:xkrebstarx () gmail com]
Sent: Thu 8/28/2008 9:18 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Comcast 250GB Cap Goes Live October 1 - Updated: Comcast confirms our story... - dslreports.com

Dave,

For IP.

I have seen this play before; a tragedy. Here is an excerpt from Prodigy's Wikipedia entry (8/28/08)

[snip]

Two of Prodigy's most popular services turned out to be its message boards and email. Because Prodigy's business model
depended on rapidly growing advertising and online shopping revenue, email was developed primarily to aid shopping, not
for general communication between users, which in practice is what it became. Additionally, the Prodigy message boards
turned out to be extremely popular as well, resulting in users being connected to the service far longer than
originally projected. This resulted in higher than expected expenses, adversely affecting the service's cash flow and
profitability.

In an attempt to control costs and raise revenue, Prodigy undertook two separate actions. First, in its attempt to
ration email, Prodigy modified their basic subscriber plans by allowing only thirty e-mail messages free each month,
while charging 25 cents for each additional e-mail message - a policy that was later rescinded. Then, in the summer of
1993, in a similar attempt to offset usage costs, it began charging hourly rates for several of its most popular
features, including its most popular feature, the message boards. Many regular message board users were not fully aware
of the impact of this price change until they received significantly higher invoices for the previous month's activity,
in place of the fixed monthly prices for unlimited usage. As a result, tens of thousands of members left the service,
resulting in a downward slide that Prodigy was never able to recover from, even though it would later rescind the
hourly rates for message boards.

[snip]

Cameron McInally