Interesting People mailing list archives

Chertoff: I'm Listening to the Internet (Not in a Bad Way) | Threat Level from Wired.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:04:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dss902 <dss902 () gmail com>
Date: August 11, 2008 7:42:32 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Chertoff: I'm Listening to the Internet (Not in a Bad Way) | Threat Level from Wired.com

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

Maybe it is because I am not an American, but that I find flying to the US of A becoming more and more scary. And as they say, "I have nothing to hide"

Wired talks to Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff.

"You are looking for material that is contraband itself, such as child pornography or information about how to set up remote control IEDs. Or if they are non-Americans, you are looking for information on the laptop about why they should not be admitted.

In many cases, we open the laptop and look at it right there. There are some cases where it is encrypted or it is difficult to assess, we may hold on to laptop for purpose of having someone more expert look at it.

If it turns out there's nothing there of criminal nature or significant in terms of national security or admission to the country, we return the laptop and expunge the information and it evaporates.

If it turns out there is significant information, we may return the laptop and keep the info, or if the laptop is itself evidence of a crime, then once we have PC [probable cause] determination we keep it.

One thing I am thinking of doing is creating a better tracking system so if we do take a laptop off the premises, we find a way to let them track it and after a certain number of days they can inquire about when it going to be returned or what the situation is."

--
...for good or for awesome