Interesting People mailing list archives

do read more on Suggestion Regarding Google/IE Search Default Controversy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:14:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Templeton <btm () templetons com>
Date: May 2, 2006 2:12:39 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: lauren () vortex com, zwhite () darkstar frop org
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Suggestion Regarding Google/IE Search Default Controversy

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 12:39:42PM -0400, David Farber wrote:
First, google's share of the search pie will increase as techies go
around
switching the search engine on their friend's and relative's computers.
Since most users aren't even aware of what a search engine is, they'll
simply accept whatever comes up when they click in the "search bar" and
type in their search.

Second, we'll see new malware that reconfigures the search engine for a
user. Many users will just assume that "The Internet Search" is being
redesigned everytime they get infected with a new malware.

Actually, it was suggested to me that people here are ignoring one very
large gorilla -- the OEMs.    The choice of what search to use will
most likely be set by Dell, HP and the rest, and they are not under the
same monopoly fears as Microsoft.

Indeed, they will surely make the default choice depend on which search
company offers them the biggest kickback on the revenue from the searches
from the bar.

As we know, Mozilla is now every well funded by offering that search bar
with a default to Google. The potential kickback to Dell or HP or other vendors is even larger. If numbers are to be believed (72M for firefox with a 12% market share) this suggests 60M to 100M (there will be a bidding
war) per 10% of market share.  No small change.

Indeed, it seems entirely possible that the kickback could be large enough
TO PAY FOR THE OEM'S PER PC COST OF WINDOWS VISTA.

Indeed, how long before search and online shopping become so lucrative
that you can get a free computer so long as you agree to a few such
arrangements.  As Moore's law drives the price of the computer down and
the value of online commercial activities grow, the lines will intersect at
some point.