Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Who they're spying on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:51:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: TClaburn () cmp com
Date: June 8, 2006 2:41:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Who they're spying on

Hiawatha Bray wrote:
So we'd better think seriously about the best ways to defend our country.

In 2005, 56 Americans lost their lives in acts of international terrorism, and of that number, 47 of the fatalities occurred in Iraq. (Source: US Dept. of
State)

In 2004, 654,092 people died of heart disease (leading cause of death, 108,694 died of accidents (5th leading cause of death), and 31,647 people committed suicide (11th leading cause of death). (Source: National Center for Health
Statistics)

We might try something other than flushing away billions in Iraq.

As Steven Bellovin pointed out, the salient issue is the legality of the
administration's actions, not whether eavesdropping has its uses.

If we want to defend our country, let's start with defending the Constitution
and the rule of law.

Thomas Claburn, Editor-at-Large
InformationWeek, CMP Media, Inc.
600 Harrison St., 6th Floor