Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Who they're spying on DO READ

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:59:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ian Stoba <ian () babcockbrown com>
Date: June 16, 2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Who they're spying on DO READ

I have an additional question for the collective wisdom of the IP list, if you see fit.

Much like Mrs. Anonymous, I am on the TSA selectee list. I had at one point ten consecutive flights for which I received a boarding pass with SSSS in the corner. This included flights on multiple airlines purchased with different payment methods and varying degrees of advance purchase.

Recently, I took a trip with my wife and three children. To my surprise, all five of us received the SSSS mark on our boarding passes. We were all pulled aside for additional screening. I was very surprised that the TSA screeners told me that my children would not be patted down, because apparently there is a TSA policy against performing extended physical searches of children under the age of 12. We did all have our baggage and our shoes swabbed for explosive residue. My family was kept in the selectee area for approximately 30 minutes while I was searched very extensively.

Our our return trip, my daughter was in tears approaching the security checkpoint knowing that she would be pulled aside and wondering how long her father would be detained. As before, I had a longer and much more thorough search than my wife and children.

Based on this experience, I had two questions:

1. Are the members of my family now "tainted" by having traveled with a selectee? Will they now face additional screening every time they fly, perhaps for the rest of their lives?

2. I suppose I can understand treating children differently, but I am very surprised that I was searched so much more thoroughly than my wife. This and several other experiences, like being pulled out of the check-in line for extra screening _before_ I had even been issued a boarding pass, makes me think that there may be some additional criteria for separating out gradations of selectees. Has the TSA made any public indication that this is the case? Have any other frequent travelers noticed this phenomenon?

While I was being searched on our return trip, my wife asked a TSA screener why I was constantly singled out. The screener asked if I happened to be an employee of the federal government, or a government contractor. The answer was no in both cases, but this seems like an interesting selection criterion.

--Ian