Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Who they're spying on DO READ

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:04:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: June 15, 2006 5:58:14 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Who they're spying on DO READ

As abhorrent as the TSA list is, I think it's also imperative that when we
go to battle over such things that we at least get the terms straight so
that we know what we're debating.

I can guarantee you that Mr. Anonymous' wife was not and IS NOT on the "Do No Fly" list. I will put up $5,000 on a bet to back up my statement if Mr.
Anon wants to take me up on it.

You see, there are TWO lists that come into play here, one is the hardcore "do not fly" list. A person appearing on that list WILL NOT FLY; they are known, criminal threats to aviation security and would be jailed if they are
caught.

The second list is much more nefarious because it catches so many people in its net, such as Mr. Anon's wife. TSA refers to this list as the "selectee list." This is the list that has caught several famous people in its web
because their names are the same or similar to those that appear on the
selectee list.

I wrote a piece about this for MSNBC just about a year ago called "Faces of
the No Fly List" (and of course, the headline writer was fudging, too,
because no on in my story was actually on the "no fly" list).

You can read it here:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8705746/