Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Technology Rewrites the Book

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:16:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Thomas Lord <lord () emf net>
Date: July 25, 2006 12:01:37 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Technology Rewrites the Book

So, I've been working on starting Yet Another
Independent Record Label.

I've had occasion to explore the wholesale market
for on-demand CD/DVD production.   I looked at
production for all scales (one-offs, of which we want
no inventory, through hundreds-offs where inventory
may make sense depending on your distribution channels,
up through mass production).  I looked at packaging ranging
from plain slip-covers through fancy multi-CD cases
with full color artwork and multi-page booklets.  I
looked at order fulfillment options ranging from
on-street to in-store to mail-order.

I'm still cranking numbers so I won't (and probably
publicly wouldn't) offer a detailed report but the
executive summary is interesting:

The market is /just now/ -- as we speak -- hitting the
sweet spot of on-demand production, at all scales, in
all form-factors, for all modes of delivery.   By
"sweet spot" I mean that the marginal cost of production
even at the lowest point of the long tail ("we sold exactly
one") is (just barely) lower than where you can price
a recording, almost regardless of content.   By "just now"
I mean this is occurring within the past couple of years with new
developments all the time -- it's a hot market for wholesalers
some of whom already have nice models and others of
whom are working on interesting new models.

The largest obstacle, whether software or another medium,
is probably IP stuff.   There probably is (and some
people are already all over this) an opportunity for
technologists to force the IP stuff to evolve.  Namely:
go into the manufacturing business for kiosks and virtual
kiosks.   A customer goes to the kiosk or web site, inserts
credit, debit, or stored-value card, picks (or designs) a
recording from components on a menu -- it's either mailed
out or available at the register (because you generally don't
want customers assembling jewel cases or even handling
freshly printed "discs").   A do-it-your-selfer can already
do this.   For mail order there are already some turnkey
services around (though too many are dubious start-ups
and all are priced too high at the very low-end).

But... that alone isn't enough.

The profit margin at the low end of the long tail exists but is
rather pathetic and the marginal cost is dominated, for quite
a while to come, by labor costs.   It will be quite a long time
before it stops being necessary to manage inventory for
titles selling as little as a few or several hundred copies.
That's no big deal, in theory but it can't be overlooked, either.

-t

Begin forwarded message: