Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Technology Rewrites the Book

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:05:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 24, 2006 6:59:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Technology Rewrites the Book

Dave, Egor,

Some "on-demand" DVD burning seems to already be taking hold in
mainstream media.  In particular, History Channel uses conventional
DVD+R disks to create copies of many shows, apparently as they are
ordered (and with a guarantee in case of playback incompatibilities,
the last time I looked).  As I recall, these are bare-bones DVDs --
no chapter titles, no extras, etc.

This makes a lot of sense for programs that have relatively low
demand, and can't justify the full-blown authoring and pressing that
the more "featured" programs receive.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: