Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Could NY Times face a treason trial?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:10:13 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Shoop <shoop () iwiring net>
Date: January 24, 2006 4:55:40 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Could NY Times face a treason trial?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Perlman <perl () lucent com>
Date: January 24, 2006 2:15:02 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Could NY Times face a treason trial?

Dave:

Let me get this straight. The President is not guilty of violating the law by ordering wire taps, because they are "legal" given some understanding of Congress' Iraq resolution. But, the NYT might be guilty of treason for
divulging the, presumably legal, actions of the President.

22 years later than Orwell predicted.

Considering how it is the mission of the NSA to intercept all communications traffic that enters or leaves our shores, no matter if the originator or recipient is a US Citizen or not, I find it hardly surprising that this is even newsworthy. Traffic from an American citizen on US soil to a foreign national abroad is notable SIGINT traffic that doesn't require a warrant because it is monitoring the foreign national. Transversely, traffic from a foreign national abroad to an American citizen on US soil is also notable SIGINT traffic as it is also monitoring a foreign national.

Now if the NSA was intercepting domestic traffic, or it was intercepting traffic between two American citizens (one of which was on US soil), that would be a different matter entirely.

Moreover, intercepts have been used in *peacetime* as part of executive power. They were most used under Democratic Presidents. Jimmy Carter was a notable example. Given the war-time posturing of the current administration it would seem as if they'd have even more of a case of support than less.
--

-dhan

Dan Shoop                                                   AIM: iWiring
Systems & Networks Architect                     http://www.iwiring.net/
shoop () iwiring net                                 http://www.ustsvs.com/
1-646-217-4725

pgp key fingerprint: FAC0 9434 B5A5 24A8 D0AF  12B1 7840 3BE7 3736 DE0B

iWiring provides systems and networks support for Mac OS X, unix, and
Open Source application technologies at affordable rates.