Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Game!!!! djf Blame the government...whoever that is.....;

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:51:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgb () kgb com>
Date: September 6, 2005 9:40:27 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Blame the government...whoever that is.....;

We've been told repeatedly that now is not the time to play the "blame
game."

I find the use of the word "game" to be repugnant. An American city has been destroyed, thousands have died, and storm victims are enduring an ongoing
evacuation of diasporic proportion. This is no game.

One third of our National Guard is overseas. There are seven weeks left in the current hurricane season, and the Atlantic is spawning tropical storm systems in record numbers. The fourth anniversary of 9/11 is five days away, and, if you recall, a group of FBI counterterrorism analysts warned in early August of possible terrorist attacks in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago
around that date.

So, just when would be a convenient time to identify those elements in the
emergency management structure which require repair?

I abhor sports metaphors, but if this is a "game", it's one with no
time-outs, and we're in sudden death. We don't have the luxury of deferring
action. We can't take our ball and go home.

The problems with the system need to be identified, and the process of
correcting them must begin immediately.

Regards,

KGB

-----