Interesting People mailing list archives

Stanford [CSL Colloq] 4:15PM * Wednesday, October 5, 2005 * The Development and Marketing of a JAVA Based System for

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:23:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: allison () stanford edu
Date: September 29, 2005 1:38:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [CSL Colloq] 4:15PM * Wednesday, October 5, 2005 * The Development and Marketing of a JAVA Based System for

              COMPUTER SYSTEMS LABORATORY COLLOQUIUM
                4:15PM, Wednesday, October 5, 2005
       NEC Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B03
                   http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]

Topic:    The Development and Marketing of a JAVA Based System for
Navigating and Mapping the Activities of Landmine Clearing Robots

Speaker:  Dr. Ken Owens
          Humboldt State University

About the talk:

In spite of less that ideal conditions and warnings that our
off-the-shelf positioning and inertial sensors would never
communicate with one another, the authors successfully field
tested a system for navigating and mapping the activities of
landmine clearing robots. We will discuss the development and
testing of this JAVA based system and our efforts to bring it to
market through CogniSense Labs Inc. and Mine Free Now. Contact
information for these organizations can be found at
http://www.cognisenselabs.com[2] and www.minefreenow.org[3].

About the speaker:

Dr. Owens is a founder of CogniSense Labs Inc. a corporation
devoted to environmental cognition through sensing, a board
member of the non-profit organization Mine Free Now which is
focused on freeing our world of landmines and a professor in the
Environmental Systems Mathematical Modeling graduate program at
Humboldt State University. He is also the 2004 winner of the
Intel Environment Award and a Laureate of the Tech Museum in
Silicon Valley. Prior to his current position, he worked at
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in the areas of machine vision
and remote sensing of the ocean.

Contact information:

Dr Ken Owens
Humboldt State University Mathematics Department
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, Ca 95521
707-826-4249
707-826-3140