Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Financial privacy, Bank Secrecy Act, and laws mandating snooping [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:55:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Date: October 13, 2005 9:53:24 AM EDT
To: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Financial privacy, Bank Secrecy Act, and laws mandating snooping [priv]

At 09:03 AM 10/13/2005, Ethan Ackerman wrote:

(*) the "patriot act effect" describes the tendency of anyone with some element of authority to cite onerous govt. rules as a justification for everything, from TSA groping grandma to landlords denying apartments to
Muslims - "...because its in the Patriot Act."

Your message made it's way from Politech to Dave Farber's Interesting People list, where I read it.

It's not just the banks using the Patriot Act to justify overly invasive snooping:

Recently I called Dell to order a 24-port Gigabit Ethernet switch. This is the same technology that you can buy at your local CompUSA for cash with no questions asked. Not only did they want the normal billing and shipping information required for any mail-order transaction, but they also demanded that I tell them the location where the equipment was going to be used, and the name of the end-user.

I refused to answer these questions, and was informed that this information was "required by law" and that they wouldn't sell me the unit without the information.

When I asked "What law?", the reply was "Patriot Act." However Dell wouldn't (or couldn't) provide a precise citation to the law that required them to gather this information. My response to this obvious piece of nonsense was to inform Dell that I would be taking my business elsewhere.

I had no trouble buying a comparable unit from another vendor with no questions asked.