Interesting People mailing list archives

Cell phones and contracts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:13:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Seybold <andy () 4mobility com>
Date: October 10, 2005 4:58:56 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP if appropriate

Dave—the comments on IP about cell phones and contracts are interesting, here is some information that put things in focus.

The “cost” to acquire a new wireless customer today, in the United States is about $250. This includes the buy-down on the phone, and marketing and sales costs. The buy-down on phones has been going on for a long time. As we approach +60% penetration of wireless phones in the US (as compared to 90-over 100% in many countries), the cost of acquiring a customer continues to climb.

As more MVNO’s (Mobile virtual Network Operators) come into the market, along with those who are already in the market such as Virgin Mobile, we will start to see a shift away from phones that are subsidized, and more options when it comes to contract offerings.

In the pre-paid world of the likes of Virgin, there is no phone discount because there is no long term contract, and the cost per minute is higher than under the terms of a contract.

So we have lots of choices, the best, and most affordable of which is still the two-year contract with a buy-down on a high-end phone. The wireless phone service, on an average per minute basis in the US is much cheaper than in Europe and Asia, and it shows since the average customer in the United States uses over 600 Minutes of voice services every month—as compared to the second highest, which is Hong Kong at just under 400 minutes per month.

Best regards

Andy