Interesting People mailing list archives

SUMMERY FAA apparently readying plans to x-ray passengers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 08:28:03 -0400

WITH each of the terrorist attacks in New York, Madrid and London over the last several years, new and increasingly complex questions have arisen for security experts, posing fresh challenges.

..."I think that as we make the decision to roll out and go to pilot tests and move forward, we need to be sure we're doing it in a responsible manner," said the agency's chief technology officer and assistant administrator, Clifford Wilke.

...The agency said it did not have a specific timeline, but statements made in early August by the two manufacturers of the technology - American Science and Engineering and Rapiscan Systems, a division of the OSI Systems electronics company - indicated that the plans could be made public within the next two months.

One reason the agency may be ready to go forward is that it has found what some see as a middle ground between security and privacy: "cloaking" software that turns the explicit images into something resembling a generic chalk outline of the body, identifying plastic, ceramic, biological and other nonmetallic and metallic objects on the body. American Science and Engineering said it felt its cloaking software - first introduced in July during testimony before a House of Representatives committee - adequately addressed privacy concerns.

"If you look at backscatter images in their raw form, they're pretty explicit, no doubt about it," said Bob Postle, American Science's vice president of sales and marketing.

...Since a backscatter's purpose is to detect both metallic and nonmetallic objects, manufacturers said the suggestion that backscatter be used as a follow-up to metal detection - the way physical pat-down searches are often used today - defeats the technology's advantages.

"It's the guy, randomly, that's not making the sucker go beep that you want to take a look at," said Peter Williamson, vice president for global sales of Rapiscan, who says that his company already supplies around half the country's airports with metal detectors.

...Both manufacturers' machines fall well under voluntary standards put forth by the American National Standards Institute as well as limits outlined in a report by the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements in 2002.

..."If you multiply that very small risk by, shall we say, 700 million, which is the number of people, roughly, who use airports in this country, then you've got a significant public health issue that one should be concerned about," Mr. Brenner said.

...Yet, the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements report says the levels of radiation from backscatters fall well within the acceptable, lower limits for children and pregnant women.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/09/travel/09xray.html