Interesting People mailing list archives

Justice Dept.: Attempting to infringe copyright should be punishable

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:40:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Henrik Brameus <blondino () gmail com>
Date: November 10, 2005 4:27:55 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Justice Dept.: Attempting to infringe copyright should be punishable

David,

Maybe this is something for IP?

Personally I think that the whole copyright and intellectual property
debate is starting to spin out of control. Soon there will be no room
left for creatitivy and innovation without stepping on somebody else's
copyright or patent claim. But I guess a law like this would be good
for big business.

Henrik

http://news.com.com/Justice+Dept.+pushes+stiffer+antipiracy+laws/ 2100-1028_3-5944612.html?

Justice Dept. pushes stiffer antipiracy laws
By Anne Broache
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Published: November 10, 2005, 12:29 PM PST
TalkBack E-mail Print TrackBack
WASHINGTON--The Bush administration on Thursday announced that it is
lobbying for new laws that would bump up criminal penalties for
pirates, expand criminal prosecutors' powers and punish anyone who
"attempts" to infringe a copyright.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, speaking at an antipiracy summit
here hosted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, said the Department of
Justice recently submitted to Congress a "legislative package" aimed
at toughening up intellectual-property enforcement amid evolving
technology.

U.S. attorney general According to a copy of the proposal obtained
from the department, the measure would create a new crime called
"attempting to infringe a copyright."

<snip>