Interesting People mailing list archives

Intel quietly embeds DRM in it's 945 chips firmware

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:17:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: May 31, 2005 1:15:49 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Intel quietly embeds DRM in it's 945 chips firmware

Dave Farber: Please remove my name and identity from this mailing, due to fear of reprisal. (I still work in the entetainment business from time to time.)

I do not know all about Intel's DRM, but I do know more, perhaps, than I should. What I do know is that Intel has been working very closely with the entertainment industry on a DRM that, I've been told, seeks to satisfy EVERYONE'S wishes. Of course, such a system would mean, by definition, that it will satisfy either no one, or only the studios.

But I do know that the Intel "dream" DRM system would allow content to be moved from one platform to another on a network, presumably through a check-in/check-out procedure, to make sure only a limited number of (legitimate) copies would be made and in service at any one time. Intel's system also acknowledges, for example, that a high- resolution (e.g. high definition video) copy of a film could be used to create low-res (like Quicktime, Real or Windows Media) versions that could be used in portable video players. Users might even be able to "loan" time-limited copies or be allowed to make a small number of copies, like Apple's Fair Play DRM permits. You can check out Intel's ideas for such a system, and the participation of an entertainment and consumer electronics industry panel called the Digital Home Working Group, on which Intel sits, which has been addressing such a system in this article from February, 2004:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/24/HNbarrettdrm_1.html

(Note: The Japanese system for hard disk and DVD recorders that Barrett alludes to is called CPRM. It is neither new nor flexible, and there has already been some consumer backlash against it in Japan, where it is used for the transmission of digital TV b'casts -- sort of their "broadcast flag.")

At the root of the problem, of course, is the personal computer that's used as a media player platform. This is also, not coincidentally, Intel's cash cow. Such a DRM system, with the PC playing a pivotal role, would also mean that IBM or other chip vendors would not be allowed to play without building in the same chip-level protection. Without these important security pieces, Apple, for example, would be cut out of the picture for playing content protected by the Intel-endorsed DRM, as would (most likely) Linux-based devices.

This is a GRAND PLAN that relies on it being either almost completely transparent to consumers (like Apple's Fair Play) or simple to understand. Unfortunately, almost no DRM is easily understood by consumers. Even most of the customer's for Apple's iTunes Music Store only become familiar with the terms under which they've purchased their music when they bump up against the limitations that have been set.

The real nightmare scenario, in my opinion, is a world in which several such DRMs co-exist, creating a chaotic environment in which you never know whether content will play on one plaform but not another. This is a potentially really sticky mess.