Interesting People mailing list archives

Reality Connectivity is 40 gigabits

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:23:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Date: May 29, 2005 4:12:42 PM EDT
To: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Subject: Reality Connectivity is 40 gigabits

Dave,

Fresh from the green hills of Vermont, and for IP if you wish, a new post:

May 29, 2005
Reality Connectivity is 40 gigabits

It is said that Reality Connectivity is 40 gigabits. Surely we do not want to settle for less than Reality? Thus, with 40 gigabits set as our goal, we should call anything less than 400 megabits “tinyband” or even "nanoband". After all, 400 megabits is only 1% of the goal.

This raises the interesting question of what are today’s legacy connectivity providers so proud of when all they offer is a fraction of one percent of the goal? What is so exciting about a rounding error?

This news story is a case in point:

    New ITU Standard Delivers 10x ADSL Speeds
    Vendors applaud landmark agreement on VDSL2

Geneva, 27 May 2005 - The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) today finalized work on new technical specifications that will allow telecoms operators around the world to offer a 'super' triple play of video, Internet and voice services at speeds up to ten times faster than standard ADSL.

The ITU is raving about nanoband capacities! How long can they fool us into thinking this is a wonderful accomplishment?

Why does this matter? Because it is easy to anticipate fact that the culture in which the greatest number of citizens has the highest capacity for transporting bits will have a lot of advantages. And not just economic advantages either: Security, health, education, environment, artistic, cultural etc. In a word, Globalization 4.0

Continued at: <http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/000377.html>

Comments and suggestions, please!

It is Memorial Day, so let us remember the sacrifices of others who made it possible for us to be here today.

Regards,

Jock

Jock Gill
Meme Intelligence
jock.gill () memeintel com
"Cooperative gain from collective behaviors at the edges."