Interesting People mailing list archives

The score thus far: TSA, 1... Zippo lighter camera, 0

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:59:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Greg Brooks <gregb () west-third com>
Date: May 12, 2005 4:53:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: The score thus far: TSA, 1... Zippo lighter camera, 0

(Dave, for IP if you wish)

An update on the TSA's no-lighter policy and how it panned out with a
Zippo-form-factor camera...

Although I've had the camera for months and travel at least once a week,
this was the first time it made sense to take it on a trip. Coming through Philadelphia Airport on Thursday afternoon, I made no attempt to hide the camera, but I did show the first screener (before the X-ray machine) that it
was, in fact, a camera.

Well. They passed it through the machine and then spent several minutes
playing with it. (Yes, playing with it. This wasn't inspecting the thing -
it was gee-whizzing it.) I encouraged them to take it apart (it
disassembles, leaving you with a camera and an empty steel shell in the
shape of a Zippo lighter), which they did.

Then it got silly. I was told by the TSA decisionmaker that the camera could come on board *but the empty steel case couldn't.* This seemed so mindless I politely asked for clarification, but got nothing further than "the camera can go, but the case can't." Asked for a supervisor and was told "you got
'em." I got out of line, walked a couple terminals away, and fedexed the
camera to myself.

I know this barely moves the needle on the TSA Mindless Idiocy Scale,
particularly in comparison to other stories you've passed along. But it's still scary (not angering, not frustrating -- scary) to realize our airport security is under the warranty of brittle rules enforced without much common
sense.

West Third Group
Greg Brooks
gregb () west-third com