Interesting People mailing list archives

Google Answers Plagiarism? How to identify?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:44:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: June 28, 2005 1:11:47 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: george.sadowsky () attglobal net
Subject: Re: [IP] Plagiarism? How to identify?

University instructors use tools such as Turnitin --
http://www.turnitin.com/static/home.html -- to try to catch people
submitting term papers from commercial mills and underground sources.

Your request seems to be different.  You want to see if the paper in
question expropriates material from professional or industry
databases.  I don't think you're going to find a crawler that covers
such terrain -- not yet, anyhow.  Northern Light was the closest to
doing that, but they only managed to cover trade databases, but not
the stuff that Dialog or Lexis-Nexis would troll through.

If you seriously seek this sort of search, I suggest you go to Google
Answers, offer $50, and a research librarian somewhere will take up
the cause.  She or he will spend a couple of hours searching the
"real" online literature, and you'll have your answer.  Google Answers
is to professional research librarian skills as Ebay is to the model
railroad collection I just inherited.

/rich