Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Plagiarism? How to identify?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:13:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeremy Epstein <jeremy.epstein () webmethods com>
Date: June 28, 2005 9:02:48 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: george.sadowsky () attglobal net
Subject: RE: [IP] Plagiarism? How to identify?

Many high schools (and probably colleges) use turnitin.com, which looks for
overlapping text strings to texts in its database.  And it adds whatever
gets submitted to its database, thus increasing the chances over time for true positives and false positives. It has the risk of eventually becoming
the equivalent of 1000 monkeys at typewriters (computers?) writing
Shakespeare.

Turnitin played a starring role a few years ago in an ABC News documentary about cheating in elite high schools. As my daughter's high school was the one profiled, I've been particularly interested in the results. The story
reported that a very large fraction (I don't recall what it was) of all
papers were detected as including plagiarized material. What the producers didn't understand is the concept of false positives. I asked my daughter about her results with the program, and she said that it frequently said her papers were plagiarized, because she quoted (with attribution) from sources. Luckily, the teachers are smarter than the program, and didn't reject her
papers, since they could see that the "plagiarism" was in fact properly
cited.

The point of this, in light of the question posed by George Sadowsky, is
that even if Turnitin (or a similar system) says a particular paper is
plagiarized, that's no substitute for reviewing what it spits back.

--Jeremy