Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NYC to search transit riders' bags -- but ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:33:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: July 25, 2005 12:50:04 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on NYC to search transit riders' bags -- but ...

Dave,

Sorry to drag this out, but it may be worth noting that New York MTA
has spent only $30m of the $600m they committed to security after
9/11.

The New York Times reported:

"But to date, two and a half years after that announcement and nearly
four years after Sept. 11, only a small fraction - about $30 million
as of March - has been spent, and nearly all of that on consultants
and additional study."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/09/nyregion/09mta.html? ex=1278561600&en=182a69e6341774c6&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Adam