Interesting People mailing list archives

Cisco, China and Freedom

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:18:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Thompson <jim () netgate com>
Date: July 24, 2005 4:51:10 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: rmackinnon () cyber law harvard edu
Subject: Cisco, China and Freedom

Dave,

Rebecca MacKinnon <rmackinnon () cyber law harvard edu>, who was bureau chief and correspondent for CNN in China and Japan until the end of 2003, has a blog where she and others are leveling accusations at Cisco about it support of the police state in China and elsewhere.

http://rconversation.blogs.com/rconversation/2005/07/ my_conversation.html

A suggested pull quote:

Cisco argues that if they don't do this business, their competitors will. And that will be bad for U.S. jobs. Well, as I've said before, at the end of the day either we believe that the ideals of "freedom" and "democracy" mean something, and are worth sacrificing short-term profit so that more people around the world have a chance of benefiting from them, or we don't. Cisco clearly doesn't. This is an insult to the thousands of Americans - public servants, men and women in uniform, journalists and others - who risk their lives daily in far-flung corners of the globe for the sake of these ideals. Such business behavior cheapens and sullies these sacrifices, making Americans look like total hypocrites in the eyes of people around the world.

--

With the recent on-list discussions about "random" searches in NYC and elsewhere, its important to remember that, if what Cisco is saying is the truth, we are a mere flick of a software switch away from enabling "a police state" in the US (if it exists yet or not) from peering into our online lives. Ms. MacKinnon is undoubtedly correct that Cisco's actions and attitude sullies the reputation of all U.S. citizens, world-wide.

Cisco, by their actions and attitude are a threat to freedom and democracy everywhere.

For IP, if you wish,

jim