Interesting People mailing list archives

Rummy LOVES covert citizen-tracking!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:41:20 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:49:08 -0800
To: "<Dave Farber:;>"
Subject: Rummy LOVES covert citizen-tracking!

Remember the TIA - Total Information Awareness - program pursued by
Irangate's Poindexter, a few years ago ... to collect comprehensive
information on all [previously presumed innocent] American citizens?
That was begrudgingly killed after word of it leaked [flooded] all
over the Internet, and eventually even dribbled onto Fox News?

Well ... you didn't REALLY think this administration's political
appointees were going to give up on such a wonderful
citizen-profiling scheme as that ... did you?

And apparently without any knowledge or approval by Congress, either.
Apparently, the much-tauted "rule of law" doesn't apply to those in
power.

--jim

USA

RUMMY'S PERSONAL SS BRANCH IN THE NEWS

"Rummy", US Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, has, once
again, gotten himself into serious trouble by ignoring the US
Congress despite the fact that it is dominated by his right-
wing Republican Party colleagues. Powerful Republican Senator
John McCain (R-Ariz.) made his usualy understated concerning
Rummy by saying: "I'm always sorry to read about things in 'The
Washington Post' when they affect a committee [the Senate Armed
Services Committee] that I am a member of."

Yes, Rummy has created a new and secret Pentagon espionage unit
called the Strategic Support Branch, and forgot to tell anyone.
  ...(cut)...
------------------

It had no more than the above so I did a Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Strategic+Support+Branch

Start your morning out right...

"No, my friend, the way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it
all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one
exactly the functions he is competent to. Let the national government be
entrusted with the defence of the nation, and its foreign and federal
relations; the State governments with the civil rights, laws, police, and
administration of what concerns the State generally; the counties with the
local concerns of the counties, and each ward direct the interests within
itself. It is by dividing and subdividing these republics from the great
national one down through all its subordinations, until it ends in the
administration of every man's farm by himself; by placing under every one
what his own eye may superintend, that all will be done for the best. What
has destroyed liberty and the rights of man in every government which has
ever existed under the sun?"

-- Thomas Jefferson, to Joseph Cabell, 1816

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch4s34.html

------ End of Forwarded Message