Interesting People mailing list archives

Cingular spamming mobile phone customers via SMS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:39:31 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Tom Sobczynski <tsobczynski () mac com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:10:57 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Cingular spamming mobile phone customers via SMS

Dave, I hope you will sound the alarm via IP.

From: 64441
Date: 2/21/05 12:03pm
FREE MSG:Cingular is helping U give 2 the victims of the tsunami disaster by
giving a 1 time gift of $.99 or $1.99 right on ur phone bill! Reply YES 2
give now!

I have just received this unsolicited text message from Cingular, my mobile
service provider.  Due to the text message shorthand contained therein, I
presumed it to be a scam, but when I called Cingular customer service they
explained that it was sent by Cingular to all of their wireless customers.

This is the first unsolicited commercial text message ever sent to my phone,
and I'm afraid I'll soon be receiving SMS ads for V1@gra and P3N1S
enlargement.  The polite Cingular customer service representative provided
me with the following snail-mail address to which I will send a complaint:

Attn: President
1st Floor
17000 Cantrell Road
Little Rock AR 72223

Please join me in protesting this unfortunate new low point in
telecommunications.

Regards,
Tom

------ End of Forwarded Message