Interesting People mailing list archives

more on This worries me-- should I be djf Network Inoculation: Antivirus shield would outrace cyber infections

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:17:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: December 7, 2005 7:03:46 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on This worries me-- should I be djf Network Inoculation: Antivirus shield would outrace cyber infections

At 03:43 PM 12/7/2005, Brad Templeton wrote:
b) As you worry, it's entirely possible the network that spreads the
countermeasures could be suborned to carry a nastier infection.  A
retrovirus of sorts, like HIV going after the immune system.

There's a current DOD SBIR topic open now, soliciting proposals for a so-called "cyber-craft" to course about in networks, collaborating with similar 'bots, and fighting attacks... there's a comparable risk that the subborned cure would be worse than any disease, though. That solicitation is here: http://dodsbir.net/Sitis/ display_topic.asp?Bookmark=28655

Ross

----
Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.