Interesting People mailing list archives

more on This worries me-- should I be djf Network Inoculation: Antivirus shield would outrace cyber infections

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:17:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>
Date: December 7, 2005 6:34:09 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] This worries me-- should I be djf Network Inoculation: Antivirus shield would outrace cyber infections

Hi Dave:

The basic idea is not new.  People have been looking at how to
recognize and propagate virus protection ahead of a virus (typically
to firewalls) for a while.

The issues tend to be (a) recognizing the virus fast enough (epidemiology
theory says only a few instances of the virus need to get past to cause
just about everyone to get infected) and then (b) getting ahead of
the infecting packets (thus shadow networks that have shorter
prop times, or other tricks).

Craig