Interesting People mailing list archives

more on A question for non USA IPers5 bucks a gallon for gas?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:27:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak () dimebank com>
Date: August 30, 2005 5:35:50 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on A question for non USA IPers5 bucks a gallon for gas?

Dave,

I think I've said this before, but maybe not to you - it's not
clear to me that the US can afford to increase gas prices quickly
without completely destroying our economy as we know it. It's
been too low for too long - we are based on shipping goods long
distances by truck, and people commuting long distances by car.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and my 30 minute commute is
short by most standards. I know a lot of people who commute more
than an hour one way, and some who commute two hours one way -
because that's how far they've had to move to afford a house.

The low-wage workers who cook and clean can't live close to their
jobs. If they can't afford to commute to their jobs, what will
happen to that sector of the economy, and what ripple effects
will that have?

Yes, the US needs higher gas prices. We're getting them now (and
the storm in Louisiana isn't helping). It's not clear how well
we'll handle them - will the increased prices fund alternative
transportation or just line the pockets of the oil companies?

Chris Kantarjiev
Palo Alto