Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Music Labels will never learn

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:22:06 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Rick Dobbs  <liquidblues () yahoo com>
Sent: 15/4/'05,  9:57

This is my favorite part of this story:

the labels complain that Apple's policies are insensitive to their goals and
limit their ability to grow their digital business even faster.

Why is it that anyone should be sensitive to the label's needs.  Who's needs
have they been sensitive too?  I could not be more happier that someone who
understands digital rights and technology is gaining more power in music
industry policies.

The label's are setting themselves up for financial failure on this one.  The
majority of cell phone users only download songs when they first get their
phones, then rarely after.  Not only that, they download fewer songs due to
flash memory capacity within the phone as well as download speeds.  Though
download speeds may change, flash memory has its physical limits and
microdrives won't be in phones for a long time.

RIAA's "Let them eat cake" policy will hopefully cause a beheading at some
point.

--Rick