Interesting People mailing list archives

BUSH, KERRY LAGGING ON HIGH-TECH POLICY

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:02:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 26, 2004 10:42:29 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] BUSH, KERRY LAGGING ON HIGH-TECH POLICY

BUSH, KERRY LAGGING ON HIGH-TECH POLICY

A major new study by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce warns of a potential decline in competitiveness that threatens U.S. innovation and "could eventually lead to the nation being displaced as the world's leading economic power." Many think the problems started with implementation of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Litigation has led to courts throwing out FCC rules three times. "Rather than get engaged, the White House let the Republicans battle it out at the FCC," said Tom Hazlett, a former chief economist for the FCC under President George H.W. Bush and an author of the chamber's recent report. "It led to paralysis of the agency, and here we are, 31/2 years after the Bush administration came to town, with the same policy we had then, except that the courts have thrown it out and nobody knows what's coming next." Telecom issues are not central in the presidential campaign and industry executives and analysts have not seem much leadership in this area from the leading candidates. See the high tech records of President Bush and Sen Kerry at the URL below.

[SOURCE: San Francisco Chronicle, AUTHOR: Carolyn Lochhead clochhead () sfchronicle com] http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/10/25/ MNGED9FNH51..DTL&type=printable

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>