Interesting People mailing list archives

Our latest exports: calumny and injustice

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:21:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Robichaux <paul () robichaux net>
Date: October 21, 2004 4:16:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Our latest exports: calumny and injustice

Wow, it's quite a stretch to complain that the French, who have historically
not been very welcoming to immigrants, are hassling this particular
university student because of the "Bush policies" that we have exported. For a very brief tour of 20th- and 21st-century French immigration policy, see
http://www.umass.edu/complit/aclanet/ACLAText/frenchmi.htm.

To cite one example among many: I don't think Merhan Karimi Nasseri is stuck
at CDG because of the Bush administration (cf.
http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/airport.htm, among many references for
this particular story). Another example: Tariq Ramadan is extremely
unpopular in France ( http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/713/special.htm).

Cheers,
-Paul